Sam and I eat this pretty often because it’s healthy, doesn’t take too long to make and you can almost pair it with whatever you like. We ate it this week with some salmon burgers and sweet potatoes and it was delicious! I originally got the idea to eat this as a side after buying Gwyneth Paltrow’s clean eating cookbook, ‘It’s All Good.’ She shares a breakfast version of this quinoa and it is amazing. Add some scallions and a poached egg on top and use kale instead of spinach in the recipe below and you have Breakfast Quinoa! Super duper protein packed good for you stuff. Here it is:
Garlic Spinach Quinoa
1 cup Quinoa
2-3 Garlic cloves, minced
A giant handful of spinach
1-2 tbs of olive oil
1. Bring 1 cup of quinoa to a boil in 2 cups of water. Once it starts boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover pot and cook for 15 minutes.
2. While that is cooking you can prepare your other ingredients. Mince 2-3 garlic gloves and set aside on cutting board. Next throw a big handful of spinach into your food processor/blender until it is finely shredded. Set both aside until quinoa is cooked.
3. Once the quinoa is fully cooked, remove from heat. We’ll only be using about 1-1 1/2 cups of it for the recipe, so you can save the rest of it for later use!
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a pan.
5. Add the garlic and heat for 1-2 minutes so that it has time to soften.
6. Add shredded spinach and cook 1-2 minutes until somewhat wilted.
7. Add 1 cup of quinoa (or a little bit more if needed) and stir everything together.
8. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
We also like to use the leftover quinoa in egg scrambles or in breakfast tacos in the morning! There are lots of different things you can do with quinoa.
Breakfast Quinoa picture below:
When I first discovered this I also sometimes are it for lunch or after a big workout since it is so protein packed!