You guys, this sandwich is amazing! You know those times where you want a really good sandwich but you don’t feel like paying ten bucks at a sandwich shop, and you are trying to be a little bit more healthy and you want something really quick, like now or in five minutes? This is the perfect sandwich for you! It doesn’t take long to make at all. It’s simple and extremely delicious. I felt like I could have been eating a sandwich from a fancy café. It was so good! Eggplant has just made it as a regular on my grocery list because I must have more of this sandwich in my life. And yes, it’s an all veggie sandwich, but trust me you will be completely satisfied! I made it for Sam and he wants it in our repertoire of meals too!
– What you’ll need –
1/4 cup of light mayo
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 eggplant, cut into thick circles
Salt to taste
Seasoning of choice (I used Gran Paradiso Parmesan Sprinkle – it has green pepper, parsley, cilantro, shallots and parm in it)
Olive oil/cooking spray for pan
Bread of Choice (I used whole grain, whole wheat)
1. To make the aioli, combine all four ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Then refrigerate.
2. Heat pan on stove over medium-high heat with olive oil/cooking spray.
3. Add onion slices and eggplant circles to pan and season with salt and spices/herbs. Cook for two minutes on each side or until lightly browned and softened. Remove from pan and toast bread/ toast bread in toaster while cooking the eggplant to save time.
4. Spread aioli over each slice of bread. Divide eggplant and tomato evenly between sandwiches, (We have been placing two big eggplant circles on each sandwich), two tomato slices, and top with baby spinach.
5. Enjoy!!! And let me know what you think!