Maybe you missed my previous spaghetti squash (w/turkey meatballs) post, but here’s the story: I’ve been loving spaghetti squash lately. I feel like it’s such a great way to put a healthier spin on one of my favorite things: Italian food (I’d go to Buca di Beppo once a week if I could)! So this week I tried a chicken and pesto parm version and I think it was a lot more fun than the regular spaghetti version. But try it for yourself and let me know what you think!! 🙂
I cut these length ways instead of in half like I did in my previous post which made them perfect little spaghetti squash bowls!
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- basil pesto (I used 1 full 6.25 oz. jar)
- parmesan cheese – grated
- italian parsley
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut squash length ways, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with a healthy dose of salt and pepper and then lay face down on a baking sheet. Bake for 45-55 minutes. When done, face upward and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cube two chicken breasts, heat 1tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat in a skillet and cook the chicken until done. Sprinkle/pour on salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste while cooking.
- Remove the chicken and place in a big bowl. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and sautee the diced onions and bell pepper. The onions take a couple minutes longer than the bell pepper, so add the bell pepper 2-3 minutes after the onion. Cook for a total of 5-6 minutes.
- Add the diced onion and bell pepper into the bowl along with chicken. Add the spaghetti squash noodles from all four halves. Add the jar of pesto. Mix all together to make sure the pesto gets on everything and that the onion and bell pepper are spread throughout the noodles.
- Divide the pasta back into the spaghetti squash skins and serve with whatever sides you like! I like to serve it along with a side salad and garlic bread 🙂
I’m hoping that all this healthy eating will have me ready for the slopes on Saturday. We road trip to New Mexico tomorrow and I CANT WAIT. Sam and I usually try and go on a boarding trip at least once a year but this year we went with Costa Rica instead because I didn’t think I’d be able to make it to Colorado at the time. Which I’m not complaining about AT ALL. Like I said in this post, I LOVE the beach. But I am excited about brushing up on my snowboarding skills! Can’t get enough of traveling lately… Hope you enjoy this recipe! Happy Thursday!