It's an interesting thing living in a vacation home. Every time we get back after a long weekend that it's been rented, it's almost like we see it with a fresh set of eyes - it almost feels like we are on a mini vacation and we get to enjoy it like the people before us just did! And because we are never here long enough to completely settle, and we know we have to do everything that we want to do before we run out of time.
Usually we'll get home and Sam will start on some home projects or something that he's been wanting to build. Yesterday he got home and built my wooden box and planted all of the succulents that I had picked out at Green N' Growing, and it turned out perfect! I'll share pictures of that soon. He loves doing stuff like that, it's so cute.
When I get home I love to create a nice ambiance in the house - and then make use of the perfect lighting for whatever I'm working on! I'll turn on all of my favorite lights around the house, turn on the stringed lights on the back patio, turn on a good playlist and then I usually grab my camera and get to it. Yesterday I decided to perfect my sugar cookie recipe (just in time for VDAY & The Bachelor tonight)!
These cookies turned out SO MUCH BETTER than the previous recipe I'd tried (not talking about my shaky decorating skills, just the recipe itself). Here's the trick though: You want to chill them in the freezer for about 10 minutes, and then you want to make them nice and thick (as thick as the cookie cutter)! None of that thin cookie crap, okay? Then you want to pop them into the oven immediately for 8 minutes on 350 and they should turn out just great! If you are splitting the dough in between oven batches, just let the extra dough wait in the freezer, knead it a little when you take it out and you're good to go.
Also, use powdered sugar on the surface where you roll out the dough instead of flour! If you look at my pictures, it appears that I have ashy knees...it's actually powdered sugar! Haha...I got it EVERYWHERE. Sam says it looked like we had a demo day in there. Anyway, hope you like this recipe. It turned out great for me! I made the first batch too thin...but the second and third ones were perfect.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream butter and sugar until smooth, at least 3 minutes
- Beat in extracts and egg.
- In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients.
- Chill the dough for about ten minutes. Divide into workable batches (& let extra batches wait in the freezer), roll out onto a powdered sugar surface and cut. You want these cookies to be THICK (as thick as the cookie cutter will allow).
- Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.