Awhile back I downloaded a book called THE ULTIMATE PROTEIN POW(D)ER COOKBOOK by Anna Sward. I was super excited about making healthy protein cupcakes, cakes, pies, breads, etc. but hadn’t found a good protein to cook with UNTIL this past week!
Sam and I recently switched gyms since we have been running around from house to house and needed a gym in a neutral location. Which thank goodness we found a gym because all of the moving back and forth has made it hard to stay in a work out routine and we are super excited to work on our fitness again!
Anyway we bought some QUEST Protein powder that was conveniently on sale and great for baking and cooking! With less than 1g of sugar, 110 calories and 23g of protein per scoop I was sold!
I immediately wanted to try a protein recipe! This coffee cake recipe wasn’t out of the Protein Pow book previously mentioned (but I’ll definitely be trying recipes from it soon). I used the recipe pamphlet that came with the protein powder but went off of what we had (protein flavor wise) and it turned out good! It’s light and slightly spongy but super guilt free and full of protein (nutritional info shown at the bottom of the post). So here ya go!
Protein Peanut Butter Coffe Cake:
2 scoops Peanut Butter Protein
1/4 cup truvia or other ‘natural zero/low cal sweetener’
2 tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp peanut butter protein powder
2 tbsp truvia or other sweetener
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together protein powder, zero cal sweetener, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, egg whites, egg, unsweetened almond milk and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour into a well greased bread pan, 8×8 pan, or into individual cup cake liners in a cupcake pan.
- In a smaller separate bowl, stir together topping ingredients. Sprinkle on top of unbaked cake batter.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Yields: 6 servings – Calories: 100 Fat: <4g Net Carbs: <3g Protein: 12g
Try it out and let me know what you think! I think it’s a great alternative to actual coffee cake if you are trying to eat clean. Enjoy!!