Last Chair Kitchen & Bar is a really special place and Sam and I could see and feel that from the moment we walked in. Remember how I shared that on my Instagram? It felt like home and everyone was a close friend! The atmosphere is so warm and inviting - from the glowing lights, Instagram worthy decor and fireside table that we sat at to the welcoming and friendly service. The place feels very beloved. I mentioned where we had eaten to our new friend over at the Whitefish Mountain Resort and she was so excited that we'd had the chance to stop into Last Chair. The whole community is super excited about it and they are huge fans of Tim Good, the owner and head chef!
Tim had been in the food industry for over 20 years and has (still) run a catering business in the area, The Cuisine Machine, for over 17 years when they decided to open Last Chair. Locals love it because they all knew and loved his food from the beginning! So I was very honored to meet him. It wasn't long after we sat down that the place came to life for dinner & drinks! It never felt too crowded, it felt like the place to be.
Sam and I ordered:
- Oyster Mushroom “Rockefeller” ~ artichoke, oyster mushrooms, spinach, breadcrumbs,
- This was my favorite of the two apps that evening. It's something Tim said they cater for events a lot! It was so good, a lot of flavor, great consistency and it's presented very well.
- “Tot-chos” ~ tater tots, house queso, black beans, pico de gallo, guacamole, lime.
Add pork carnitas or highland beef .
- These are the tater tot version of nachos and yes, just a great as they sound! This would have been my favorite if I had just had a full day of snowboarding! These were very satisfying and the portion size was very generous! We ordered the half-portion and I'm glad we did because we wouldn't have been able to finish dinner - we ate every last bit. The perfect Après ski appetizer.
Sam and I ordered:
- Chicken & Waffles ~ buttermilk fried chicken, savory waffle, huckleberry – gorgonzola cream, maple balsamic, side of collard greens.
- The Chicken & Waffles was far from ordinary, in fact it's previously won the Taste of Whitefish award! It's truly savory and rich with a unique blend of flavor that we loved! Chicken and waffles is one of Sam's favorite things to order wherever it's offered and he gave his stamp of approval, haha. Ate the whole thing. I'm not as much of a Chicken & Waffles connoisseur as Sam, but I really loved it too.
- A Special of the Day: Surf & Turf ~ Escolar and New York strip.
- The specials change daily, and Tim usually posts what the Special of the Day is on their Facebook page. I was a huge fan of the Surf & Turf dish, I'd never eaten Escolar before but it was absolutely delicious! Escolar is a fish found in deep temperate waters, sometimes also known as a butterfish and for good reason! Escolar has incredibly rich flavor and has a very firm, buttery consistency to it. He served that with the NY Strip along with veggies on top of a creamy grain and it was pure bliss. If you ever visit Last Chair while he has Escolar as a special you have to try it, trust me, even if you aren't a big fish person I think you'll love it.
Sam and I ordered:
- Poached Pairs a la mode
- When we got to dessert we wanted something slightly lighter than the usual chocolaty indulgent desert that we like. This poached pair dessert was sweet and very satisfying. We even managed to finish the whole thing regardless of how happily full we were! If you're looking for something a little different dessert-wise, try this on your visit to Last Chair!
what people are saying on Yelp
"One of the best restaurants in town! Its definitely worth it to skip an old favorite to try this new one, I could almost guarantee it would become one! The menu is smaller on choice, but big on flavor! Our server (Sarah, I believe) was incredibly helpful and even discounted our appetizer when it wasn't quite what we had expected. I had the macadamia crusted steelhead with the cauliflower risotto and it was an absolutely AMAZING combination. My boyfriend chose the walleye sandwich, which was perfectly cooked with a crispy crust and we were both astonished at how great the slaw on it was. Overall great food, stupendous service, warm atmosphere, with beautiful decor and good beers on tap, there's something for everyone and it's definitely worth the visit." - Danielle M.
"We had a great meal and experience tonight. This was our first visit to the area, and only wish we had found The Last Chair sooner during our stay. The food and service was spot on. Extensive and excellent wine list. All you foodies in the area need to put this place on your regular rotation of eateries." - Randall M.
"Nearby to where we were staying in Whitefish, we found this fantastic restaurant. With two young kids, we chose this place partly because we saw that they had a kid's menu and a wide variety of menu options and prices. We loved the decor and the lighting, the place felt very warm and inviting. We all loved our food and would absolutely come back." -Kevin S.