I’m totally embracing my Asian heritage with this post.
Years ago my aunt, who is Taiwanese, was visiting and made herself some ginger tea. I think I was still in middle school and ginger hadn’t really found a place in my diet quite yet, but she had shared with my mom that ginger tea was wonderful for the ladies during THAT time of month and I’ll share why and a few of the benefits of drinking ginger tea below! It’s been used as a medicinal in many Asian countries for centuries and for good reason, so I figure I should start drinking more ginger tea! And it really isn’t as potent as you would think, it’s actually really good!
- Peel and cut up about a fingers length portion of ginger root
- Throw the cut up ginger into a pot of water and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Add water to tea-cup (I like to throw in several prices of the ginger too).
- Add half a lemons worth of lemon juice
- And if you want, add your choice of tea to it. I added a detox tea bag to my ginger tea!
So what are the benefits?
- It relieves pain and soothes muscles. Again, good for the ladies.
- It prevents and relieves nausea and upset stomach.
- It soothes achy joints.
- It boosts metabolism.
- It can relieve congestion and soothe a common cold.
- And on that note it’s great for the immune system in general because it’s full of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and amino acids!
Seriously though there are so many more benefits, look it up! And then enjoy a nice warm cup of ginger tea 🙂