Found this recipe and tweaked it a little. Made it using spinach and feta chicken sausage instead, added mushrooms, used mozzarella pearls and shredded mozzarella, and doubled the garlic! Served it with a kale side salad and a buttered garlic french baguette (just melt one tbsp of butter and mix in a little bit of garlic salt and garlic powder to taste, then brush on the bread and pop in the oven for a quick minute)
Chicken Sausage Penne Bake w/Spinach, Tomato, Mushroom, Garlic & Mozarella
10 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
1 lb Spinach & Feta chicken sausage from HEB
1 5 oz. bag/tub of baby spinach
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped grape tomatoes
1 cup prepared tomato sauce of choice
3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1/4 cup milk
1 cup mozzarella pearls
Shredded Mozarella for topping
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- Cook chicken sausage in 1 tbsp butter over medium heat for 12-14 minutes, or until browned. When almost done, add in garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Turn off heat and remove sausage with tongs, placing on cutting board. Slice into bite-sized pieces.
- Save garlic in a bowl.
- Add more butter to your pan and saute your mushrooms.
- Place the spinach in the bottom of your pasta strainer. When pasta is done, pour pasta and pasta water over the spinach into the strainer, allowing the spinach to wilt slightly.
- Chop grape tomatoes into quarters, for a total of 1 cup.
- Pour pasta, sausage, spinach, mushrooms, garlic and tomatoes into a large bowl.
- Add tomato sauce, yogurt, milk, mozzarella pearls, and spices to bowl. Mix very well.
- Pour into casserole dish. Top with shredded mozzarella. Cover dish with foil.
- Cook for 30 minutes covered. Remove foil, cook for an additional 10 minutes.